02 September, 2014

Trailer support pads repair

When we bought our used trailer I knew that it will need some repairs. I bought new tires, sanded and painted wheels and replaced the position lights with LED waterproof version.
The last repair I did this weekend was to replace the carpets on the support pads.
I bought commercial polypropylene carpet with gel backing. To spread the load on the hull a bit, I've inserted between the carpet and the pads the 5mm high density closed-cells foam.

old carpeting... was about the time

I've rounded the edges of the timber a bit

5mm foam

new carpeting and the cuttings

finished pads


Hope the new pads will support the boat and won't scratch the gelcoat too much.
Now I'm in touch with the trailer maker to build the tongue extention bar so we can lunch the boat in gradual slip or beach. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. I think it will depend on how much your boat weighs. Your padding can be perfect for boats weighing not more than 1, 500 lbs. But if you have concerns about the paints below, the rubber or foam padding can be a good option. They tend to be more durable and flexible than commercial polypropylene, so you don’t have to worry about scratching the paint on your boat. Anyway, how are they holding up, so far?

    Austin Hawkins @ Champion Trailers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep our boat without bottom paint, but I believe that everything leave a stains on the gelcoat, carpets or even that modern blue polyurethane pads. Maybe that foam is unnecessary, but I had some leftover so I used it. We will see.

      Delete