28 April, 2014

Companionway hatch board storage

The boatyard offers the holder for the companionway hatch board behind the toiled as an extra, but as I can build it by myself I wanted to save some money for other options.

Anyway, I get some old piece of oak cut 3 identical pieces and then used a router to do a slot for the board and rounded corner.


This is the final installation as I glued and fastened in place. The holes for the fasteners were then hidden by an oak plugs.

 

The only problem was to find the similar varnish. The Dalpol uses HERLAC Kontracid D 1173 Q polyurethane varnish with satin finish, but it's hard to find it here and even in a small package, because it's used for mass production finishing. So far I've found that INTERNATIONAL Goldspar Satin gives almost the same finish. I've applied two coats by brush followed by wiping with a clean rag. This give's you almost like spray satin finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment