28 April, 2014

Inspection hole

Before I can install the depth & speed instrument, I need to drill the inspection hole under the port seating. This is because I will need to see what is really there and mainly to pull through the power and transducer cables. It's also good to have access to this keel area just in case.

Since the boat is in the yacht club, I need to carry all that tools and this is how it looks:


The drilling was pretty straight forward. I simply draw the circle with the diameter smaller by the half width of the drill bit. Then I drilled one 6mm hole to each other. Then I took the metal saw blade to cut the hole and finished it with a smooth file.

measure twice, drill once

dry test of 170mm inspection hole (140 mm hole)

Here you can see through the hole inside the bilge area. The dark color of the bilge area is the encapsulated lead ballast.

key hole view - water inlet and vent & pump feed

centerboard view

The transducer cable will go this way to the sink cabinet in the toilet room:

beautiful eye :-)

final look

No comments:

Post a Comment