20 June, 2015

Boom tent

Last year I planned to build the regular bimini top and the sprayhood, however, I was still not convinced whenever to build a classical bimini top with all that tubing and If it will be practical for trailer boating.
So this year, because we are planning to go to a very sunny area, I made just a simple boom tent, which is very fast to put over the boom.

The shape is simple, looks like a broad pennant and it's made from a cheap PVC coated polyester canvas 430g/m2.


testing the tent...

... with 6 battens


As you can see on the picture below, I've simplified the design and reduced 6 battens to just 3 "bars" (on the left). It's made from two ordinary sail battens (24x2.5x2000mm) sewn into a "sock" to prevent touching the glass fibers. This batten "sock" has a 3 velcro strips on it as well as the tent so it's very easy to put it on or stow the tent into the cockpit.


final shape with batten socks
 
canvas cutting tool - ordinary soldering iron with modified copper tip



The canvas is then attached to the boat with 8 straps with adjustable trident quick release buckle clips (3 per sides, one over the mast and one over the topping lift).

sailing with a boom tent

boom ten in hot days


The following trips proofed, it's very handy, practical and stable in a light wind (15 kn).
I think it is also probably too long, so I think I will cut it in the front by a few decimeters to be able to go to the bow more easily.
The only downside of this solution is that it slightly cover the solar panel and degrade power generation. Anyway, I plan the additional solar panel on the stern so this will somehow mitigate this issue.

Update on 14.10.2016 - I've replaced this tent with a regular bimini top. Check out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment