09 June, 2015

Gas tank upgrade - ventilation

Nobody likes the gas vapors in the cockpit lockers, so I decided to upgrade our portable gas tank and add the overboard ventilation. I did not let the boatyard install that standard big locker ventilation grilles, because in heavy rain, the drops can easily jump through the grille into the locker. More holes means more problems with water :-)
I don't have any issues with the humidity or mold in the lockers, because the locker is not air tight anyway.

Because I have a portable gas tank, I wanted to make it simple for manipulation, so all the hose connections are made using the click-on connectors (Chrysler type).

Overboard vented Thru-hull

Transparent PVC, oil resistant ventilation hose
The hose is going straight upwards to prevent gas collection when the boat is heeled
(Its not visible, but the hose is attached via the self-adhesive tie downs)

Ventilation cap on the tank is closed and the tank can breathe all the time


Fuel hose and the outboard 12V connector (UCHEN 50Amps)
There is also one positive point of this conversion, that during anchorage, I always closed the vent cap on the tank to prevent gas vapors, but a built up gas pressure had a negative influence on the outboard carburetor. Simply pushing the gas into the outboard if not able to escape naturally and sometimes had a problem while starting. Not speaking of the fuel spills when I tried to disconnect the fuel hose from the outboard.
One more enhancement finished - more to come.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with my tank. The pressure is building up when the boat is left for a week and ventilation cap is closed. Few questions:
    1. Did you leave fuel in tank when you are done with sailing?
    2. If so, it evaporates step by step. I wonder what is the rate of evaporation (marginal or noticeable)?
    3. I also wonder if there will not be humidity gathering during night in this hose and then this drops of water will not go back to tank and pollutes fuel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Piotr,
    1) yes, I keep the tank with the gas all the season
    2) evaporation is marginal, btw - all cars has this ventilation
    3) water could not get into the tank. The hose from the thru-hull is going upwards so even in ultra-heavy rain the water could not let in. I believe that the humidity gathering on the walls of the hose is not a problem.

    Regarding water in the fuel. This is a common issue. Someone recommends installing water separating filters, so for a peace of mind, you can install one.

    This is all just a semi-conversion of the portable tank with a fixed tank features :-)
    I always remove it from the boat for refill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas,
    thx for the answers. I think I'll go with the same solution at my boat. You convinced me ;)

    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great :-)
      What sailboat do you have? Phobos?

      Delete