01 June, 2015

Wooden cockpit table

When we were ordering our boat we specified we would like to install just the bottom fitting for the cockpit table. The boatyard finally was so kind that they gave us the complete cockpit table. Unfortunately, that original round fiberglass table is very heavy which makes it pretty impractical to install.
So I build a new wooden one from the 10mm marine plywood and oak veneer.

I started by cutting the plywood into size of 60x35cm with rounded corners. The most difficult part was to glue a 1mm oak veneer on the edge of the plywood. To fix the veneer until the glue hardens I had to build a support structure with two adjustable sides.

Gluing edge veneer using this support structure

Gluing oak joists on the edge of the table

After 3 coats of the satin varnish

Beautiful table waiting to be dished out
I don't have the picture of the stainless table fitting, but it's an original custom made tubing in the form of X with a small tube in the middle and a hand screw for the support pole.

This table can be stored inside the cabin or can easily fit in the fuel cockpit locker.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice table and perfect job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tomas
    I've already ordered plywood and veneer but what are the dimensions of the oak joists? I'm guessing 10x10mm, is it correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Piotr, I'm not sure right now, I measured it by an eye ... but its very close to 10x10mm.
      Good luck and please send me your finished product.

      Delete